quoth the Dave Nebinger:
> > We can't make Linux "better" and "ready for the desktop"-- which does
> > *not* mean we have to do everything via a GUI, dagnabit; people can
> > certainly use the command-line comfortably *if they know how*-- unless
> > we identify where people are falling over it and how to remove the
> > obstacles to their understanding and ease-of-use. Difficulties using
> > error output effectively looks like an obstacle to ease-of-use to me.
> > Heaven knows I won't know what to do about it if I do find an "answer"
> > (or the beginnings of one), unless that answer is "add to the docs", but
> > we all contribute what we can, and asking the question in the first
> > place is what I can :-) .
>
> Unfortunately, Holly, I don't think linux will be ready for the desktop for
> quite awhile (yes, that does make me sad).

<rant>
This is a non-argument. I have been using Linux as my main workstation for
over 2 years. I am sure several people on this list have been using a Linux
desktop much longer than that. Right from the beginning the parrots said 'not
ready for the desktop'. I have no doubt that they will be saying it in 10
years.

So when will it be ready? When all facets of security have been traded in
favor of convenience? When some arbitrary percentage of people are using it?
No. I rather think that the average person is not ready for the Linux desktop.

Your 4 point plan to make Linux desktop ready looks to me like removing
everything I like about Linux, and replacing it with useless bloat, and
moddlecoddling touchy feely nonsense that just gets in the way of a 'real'
user, and 'real' work.

This may be an eliteist attitude, but I don't want Linux dumbed down. If
someone can't make a go of it, stick to Windows or Mac. I am sick and tired
of seeing truly great ideas and technology have everything good and
innovative sucked out until it is ready for consumption by the masses.
Popular music anyone? Television? Only two examples of of great mediums that
are now a vapid wasteland because they cater to the lowest-common denominator
tastes of Joe Sixpack and Suzy Lunchpail.

Why does something have to act/look like Windows to be ready for the desktop.
If that's what you need/want just use Windows already!
</rant>

This rant was written using a Linux Desktop....
-d