> Why does something have to act/look like Windows to be ready for the
> desktop.  If that's what you need/want just use Windows already!

It's not that the next OS has to act/look like windows to supplant windows,
it's a question of usability...

There's a lot of research that has been done and is ongoing re: user
interface design.  So far the research supports the statement that "simpler
is better" in regards to usability is concerned.

The replacement for windows will be one that provides a simpler, consistent
interface, not one that is more complex and requires intimate details of
low-level file editing and command prompt access, the current face of linux.

I love linux and use it everywhere except my 7 year old daughter's computer
(granted I could probably do it there too except the sites that she likes to
use are too dependent upon IE).  And I won't go back to windows, not anytime
soon.

But I can realistically gauge how much it would take to move organizations
in the direction of linux and understand where 'linux is ready for the
desktop' zealots miss the mark.  Most organizations are looking to cut costs
and simplify their infrastructure (again to cut costs).  Linux on the
desktop won't do that in it's current state and would have to be
significantly dumb-downed before it can happen.  I for one am glad it's not
going in that direction.