Thank you for the reply!

The problem is to date, I cannot get Xorg to go to a higher resolution than 640x480, and only acknolwedges one of the two monitors (uselessly duplicates teh one monitor onto the other, which is the power-on default for the card.

I was trying to find any such while running Gentoo, but no framebeffer, either, and so far Gentoo does not like my ps/2 trackbball-mouse, so I had no luck. Today I have booted Win98SE, and am just about to go looking again where I can *see* something besides all those lovely serifs in 80x25 mode. And I have spent the last 7, repeat, *seven* entire days trying to get Gentoo installed.

What I need is 10x7 + 10x7, or better yet 12x10 + 10x7, either as one large desltop or as two separate desktops, preferrably switchable by momentarily zapping X & issuing one command from the tt, probably just swappping between two X*.conf's.

I did try the Gentoo fglrx driver & config, but after emerging it, I found out that this is still Xfree86-only, so I can't use it under Xorg.

So, I need a full-feature driver that runs under Xorg, or I need the Xfree86 system installed.

Any thoughts?

Thansk,
rgh.

(And I am *very* computer knowledgeable, and a professional programmer for ~18 years. I can usually do anything needed by myself. But let's just say that I found a lot of things to fix to install Gentoo. Why? I don't know, but I did create fixes for all up to here so far. Which is by way of explaining why I was 'shouting'. If I can ever get Gentoo working to my needs, it looks to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but meanwhile, I am getting a little behind in my income, and I can't afford much more of this; and I am just about to have to give up on linux & go back to Windows, which crashes about ever 30 minutes, and *hope* that I can install yet more software so I can do this new project.)