Replies inlined...

Justin Patrin wrote:

On Apr 4, 2005 5:58 PM, Robert G. Hays <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thank you for the reply!

The problem is  to date, I cannot get Xorg to go to a higher resolution
than 640x480, and only acknolwedges one of the two monitors (uselessly
duplicates teh one monitor onto the other, which is the power-on default
for the card.

I was trying to find any such while running Gentoo, but no framebeffer,
either, and so far Gentoo does not like my ps/2 trackbball-mouse, so I
had no luck.  Today I have booted Win98SE, and am just about to go
looking again where I can *see* something besides all those lovely
serifs in 80x25 mode.  And I have spent the last 7, repeat, *seven*
entire days trying to get Gentoo installed.

What I need is 10x7 + 10x7, or better yet 12x10 + 10x7, either as one
large desltop or as two separate desktops, preferrably switchable by
momentarily zapping X & issuing one command from the tt, probably just
swappping between two X*.conf's.

I did try the Gentoo fglrx driver & config, but after emerging it, I
found out that this is still Xfree86-only, so I can't use it under Xorg.

I don't know why you think this...the fglrx and config program work fine for xorg since a little while ago. The first version I used I had to change some conf settings (found on a howto), but the latest version I had installed created a conf that worked fine in xorg. Did you try ~x86?

1) 'startx' fails, and the Xorg log states that fglrx requires Xfree86, thus why I think this; did I miss something? Or are there two versions of fglrx....., one for each Xorg & Xfree86? emerge coulda got da wrong one, I s'pose... ("whatever the computer did, was whatever it darned jolly well wanted to", but on top of that, yeah, I do claim to be human, with all that that implies...)
Bottom line, do you happen to know the correct version for emerge's Xorg on k-2.6.11-g-r4 or something near-by?

2) '-x86'; please specify where in what you mean; part of 'created fixes' was stage3 from universalCD, and ended up building everything new as -march=athlon-xp? Did I do a 'goofus, Rufus, you doofus' here? Maybe I need to rebuild *everyting* (...human...)?

Also, I noticed that switching between the conf files didn't seem to work. I think the config program may make some other changes (perhaps some /proc stuff?) which forced me to re-run the config program if I wanted to change my configuration.

<...re-run the config program...> Urgh!; Well, I can go looking, & if so maybe I can find a way to deal with that, too...
Thank you for _that_ warning; I'll be prepared if I can ever get that far.

Thanks again!,
rgh.

So, I need a full-feature driver that runs under Xorg, or I need the
Xfree86 system installed.

Any thoughts?