On Apr 4, 2005 5:58 PM, Robert G. Hays <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply!
>
> The problem is  to date, I cannot get Xorg to go to a higher resolution
> than 640x480, and only acknolwedges one of the two monitors (uselessly
> duplicates teh one monitor onto the other, which is the power-on default
> for the card.
>
> I was trying to find any such while running Gentoo, but no framebeffer,
> either, and so far Gentoo does not like my ps/2 trackbball-mouse, so I
> had no luck.  Today I have booted Win98SE, and am just about to go
> looking again where I can *see* something besides all those lovely
> serifs in 80x25 mode.  And I have spent the last 7, repeat, *seven*
> entire days trying to get Gentoo installed.
>
> What I need is 10x7 + 10x7, or better yet 12x10 + 10x7, either as one
> large desltop or as two separate desktops, preferrably switchable by
> momentarily zapping X & issuing one command from the tt, probably just
> swappping between two X*.conf's.
>
> I did try the Gentoo fglrx driver & config, but after emerging it, I
> found out that this is still Xfree86-only, so I can't use it under Xorg.

I don't know why you think this...the fglrx and config program work
fine for xorg since a little while ago. The first version I used I had
to change some conf settings (found on a howto), but the latest
version I had installed created a conf that worked fine in xorg. Did
you try ~x86?

Also, I noticed that switching between the conf files didn't seem to
work. I think the config program may make some other changes (perhaps
some /proc stuff?) which forced me to re-run the config program if I
wanted to change my configuration.

> So, I need a full-feature driver that runs under Xorg, or I need the
> Xfree86 system installed.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thansk,
> rgh.
>
> (And I am *very* computer knowledgeable, and a professional programmer
> for ~18 years.  I can usually do anything needed by myself.  But let's
> just say that I found a lot of things to fix to install Gentoo.  Why?  I
> don't know, but I did create fixes for all up to here so far. Which is
> by way of explaining why I was 'shouting'.  If  I can ever get Gentoo
> working to my needs, it looks to be the greatest thing since sliced
> bread, but meanwhile, I am getting a little behind in my income, and I
> can't afford much more of this; and I am just about to have to give up
> on linux & go back to Windows, which crashes about ever 30 minutes, and
> *hope* that I can install yet more software so I can do this new project.)

Justin Patrin