There's some SuSE-based workstations around me here I have to take care
of. I guess they won't have to bear SuSE for much longer though.
The alternatives I can imagine now are Debian and Gentoo. Personally I'd
prefer Gentoo, but I don't feel like reinventing the weel by writing my
own deployment scripts. There are not many different hardware setups, so
I could do an initial install by installing one machine of each and then
cloning its HD---the main problem is getting updates done without having
to waste megawatthours on unneccessary compilation. I've seen people
mentioning such setups here, so I guess somebody has developed the stuff
I'd need already? I'd be thankful for any hint or pointer...

cheers!
        Matthias

--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages.       KeyID: 90CF8389
Fingerprint: 8E 1F 10 81 A4 66 29 46  B9 8A B9 E2 09 9F 3B 91