On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

>>> I think you are one of *very* few that understands this.
>>>
>>> This reminds me of a old joke.  One in four people have a mental issue.
>>>  Check three friends and if they are OK, you are it.  Again, it is a joke
>>> but my point is, very few people are liking this.  That alone should say
>>> lot.
>>
>> I know, but Open Source has never been a democracy. It is a
>> meritocracy. No matter how many get upset by a change, the opinions
>> that matter are from those writing the code.
>>
>>>  This is a very few people forcing a change that no one wants.
>>
>> That's a contradiction, isn't it? The "few people" forcing the change
>> want it, I hope.
>
> It's not.  So far, one dev made the decision to do this and a few have
> agreed.  There are lots of people, as noted in this thread, that disagree.
>  Some of those people have been using Linux for a very long time.  I don't
> know how long you have been using Linux but I'm pushing ten years myself.  I
> suspect that Neil and Alan, and maybe others, have been using Linux a LOT
> longer than that.  Maybe more than both of us put together.  When I see a
> post by Alan or Neil, I read it carefully.  There are Linux idiots in this
> world but they are not one of them.  On some subjects, I fall into the
> ignorance category.  I don't claim to know it all but some things I do know
> well.

The "contradiction" part was a joke. A bad one, it seems.

I started using Linux in 1996, when I started college (Computer
Science, if you must know). I used RedHat, then Mandrake, then Gentoo,
around 2003. After college I worked in several companies, doing mostly
programming, but also a lot of system administration. I have worked
with Solaris, HP-UX, SCO, and a tiny little bit of AIX, but the bulk
of my curriculum is in Linux.

In 2005 I got bored of being like Dilbert, and went back to school to
get my masters in 2008 (Computer Science, again), and after getting
back to work less than six months, I returned to Academia to get my
PhD (Computer Science, what the hell), which I hope to get next year.

That is not going to happen if instead of finishing writing my papers,
I keep posting to threads in gentoo-user.

I have some experience with Linux and Unix. I have followed the
development of Linux, GNOME and everything in beetween in the stack
like some people follow soap operas or football games. I think I kinda
know what I'm talking about.

But of course, I could be wrong in this issue. I just don't think so.

I said my points and listened to very different and interesting ones.
>From my POV (and I say this with all the respect possible), I see a
lot of people afraid of change or too worried about their pet
configurations, but not a really Earth-shattering technical strong
point that makes me believe this change is "unnecessary",
"irrational", or "lazy". It is incovenient? Sure, but in the long run
I think it would make Linux better.

This I haven't said, I think: I care about Linux, and basically Linux
only. I want it to be on all my electronics, from my cell phone to my
refrigerator and of course in my desktop. That is already happening,
and the direction it is heading.

But to do that, Linux cannot be a "classical Unix". It needs to be so
much more. It needs to do thinks *DIFFERENTLY*. So, even if Linux will
be always able to do anything any other Unix could do, it will do it
in a fundamentally different way. So if you care for a Unix boxen that
only does Unix-boxen things, in the classical, 1970-way, then probably
Linux is not the best option for you.

And for sure *I* don't want progress stopped only so Linux is able to
do the things already does in the same way, with the only argument
being "my script/setup/partition works now, why should I changed it?"

Change happens.

I appreciate the discussion, and I think it was enlightening and
entertaining, but I will not participate anymore. I need to get my PhD
one of this days.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés