On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 23 Sep 2011 13:58:22 Michael Mol wrote:
>> /rant
>
> This is because Google uses geo-targeting to determine what results you may be
> interested in (assuming your geo-location from your IP address), and
>
> because of the Google data centre that you are getting connected to (updates
> of search results and their ranking is not instantaneous across the globe),
> and
>
> because if you are logged in to Google (mail, et al) your search history will
> bias the results you may receive, and
>
> because recent searches (whether logged in or not) are cached and will affect
> what you're getting served.
>

> People searching for pubs in the UK are bound to get different results to
> people searching for pubs in Australia.
>
> Of course if you want to search for pubs in Australia while you are browsing
> from the UK things are going to get tricky ...
>
> In such cases you want to add:
>
> The location in the search results:  e.g. pubs + Australia (to filter the UK
> Google results for Australian pubs), or go to www.google.au and then search
> from there for pubs (Australian Google results for pubs).  There could be
> other more sophisticated ways but can't recall them off hand.
>
> Now, if someone sends you a non-lmgtfy.com link you can look at the Google TLD
> to determine the country the results are from and search accordingly.

All great info, if I'm looking for a physical location. Yeah, when I'm
looking for the address of a music, I'll search for "the intersection
in Grand Rapids, MI". GeoIP and other details take care of the rest,
and it actually comes up with the place I saw JoCo and TMBG last
weekend.

>> I don't want to build a CD from scratch (and doing so looks like it
>> would require setting up a fully "generic" box to build). I just want
>> to add two files to an existing ISO.
>>
>> How would I extract boot_catalog and eltorito_boot_image from an existing
>> ISO?
>
> Mount the ISO with loopback and then navigate into it as a normal fs:
>
> # mkdir /mnt/iso
> # mount -o loop LiveCD.iso /mnt/iso
> # ls -la /mnt/iso
> # cp /mnt/iso/some_file

Loopbacks are easy enough. I wasn't sure that the files in question
were going to be on the filesystem, or were somewhere else in the ISO
image. I was thinking analogously to boot sectors on floppy disks and
hard disks; some data isn't directly visible on a filesystem.

--
:wq