On Friday 23 Sep 2011 17:02:03 Mick wrote:
> On Friday 23 Sep 2011 15:48:29 Jonas de Buhr wrote:
> > >This is because Google uses geo-targeting to determine what results
> > >you may be interested in (assuming your geo-location from your IP
> > >address), and
> >
> > are you sure google uses ip geo-location? the results change a lot if
> > you just change the TLD or hl=
>
> Yes it does.  When you change the www.google.TLD you 'force' it to give you
> the results from the specific TLD location.  The results can change a lot
> if location is relevant.

BTW, the hl= just specifies the 'host language' of your browser.  Of course if
you have set this to e.g. French, then (I think) that the results will be
listed with priority given to French sites if any are found.

To obtain location specific results you can also use Google's advanced search:

http://www.google.com/advanced_search

and click to expand the link named "Date, usage rights, region, and more"
where you can choose a preferred country from the dropdown menu for 'Region'.

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick