On 2012-03-14, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 12 Mar 2012 18:34:37 Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2012-03-12, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> No, I simply meant that if you use Postfix you don't have to use
>>> anyone else's SMTP server,
>>
>> If you've got a static IP address, a domain, an MX record, and
>> whatever other requirements a lot of sites are now placing upon
>> senders of mail.
>>
>> I used to use my own SMTP server, 10 years ago it worked fine.  More
>> recently, too many destinations wouldn't accept mail from me -- so I
>> had to start using mail relays.
>
> Perhaps your mail address was blacklisted? Many ISPs IP address
> blocks are blacklisted these days.

I know that was sometimes the case from the rejection message sent by
the destination SMTP server.  Even though I had a static IP address
and an valid MX entry for the sending machine's hostname, some sites
wouldn't accept mail because my static IP addres was in a block used
for DSL customers (of which I was one).

> Also some ISPs are blocking ports (like 25 and 2525) to minimise spam
> sent out of compromised boxen.  They would typically allow you to
> relay through their mailservers though.

I've never run into that, but I know people who have.

In either case, I wouldn't advise anybody to try using their own SMTP
server to deliver mail directly to destinations unless they have their
own domain, their own IP block, and the time+skills require to fight
with the problems.  Anybody with the requisite resources and skills
probably wouldn't be asking questions here about how to use Gmail's
SMTP server.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I Know A Joke!!
                                  at