On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 01:15:30 +0100
Peter Humphrey <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 August 2012 21:57:43 Alex Schuster wrote:
> > I wrote:
> > > Well, all I can do now is to get a new board and see if things
> > > will be okay then.
> > [...]
> > So I had to wait. And when it became available, I wondered if it
> > might be the processor instead that has the problem, so I let the PC
> > shop diagnose CPU and board. This took until today, and they
> > confirmed it was the board indeed, not the CPU.
>
> Let me get this straight. The shop ran tests and concluded that the
> motherboard was faulty, not the CPU?
>
> > Fine, I bought the board
>
> ...it having been tested and found faulty!
>
> > guess what - it doesn't work.
>
> Sorry, but I must be misreading this. You've said that the board was
> diagnosed faulty, but you bought it anyway and it turned out faulty.
> Where is the mystery?
>
> Is this a problem with the English language? I thought I knew it
> inside- out, upside-down and back-to-front. I still think so. Yet
> your account has you tying yourself in knots over a known fault.

No, not at all. He means (just read the whole mail with a view to
understanding the communication, not finding the grammar faults) that
the shop diagnosed the old board was faulty so he bought a new board
which involved a week's wait.

That board now might be faulty too.
Most obvious cause: Something is breaking the motherboards.
Most obvious root cause: PSU

Rule #1 in dealing with odd weird strange computer faults is ALWAYS
test with another PSU of at least twice the capacity you think you need.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com