Dale writes:

Alan McKinnon wrote:
Rule #1 in dealing with odd weird strange computer faults is ALWAYS
test with another PSU of at least twice the capacity you think you need.

+1  I always start with the P/S.  Well, unless I see something else
unrelated letting the smoke out.  Even then tho, a bad P/S can cause the
smoke to get out of something else too.  It's good advice all the way
around.

Why not let the computer shop test the P/S?  If it blows up something of
theirs, it's bad.  ;-)

I would have preferred to give them the whole PC, but I cannot carry that around easily when going to work by bus and tram, so I could drop it of the store when I leave work in the evening. It was easier to just carry mainboard and CPU in a small bag.

Well, not really true, I gave them the hardware on Friday, and on Saturday I could have used the car to transport the PC, but I was somewhat busy that day, and just didn't think about the PSU frying the board. And I had hoped that they would test the board right when I was there on Friday, so I could leave with the new one. Or with the new CPU, if that had turned out to be defective.

        Wonko