Peter Humphrey writes:

On Tuesday 28 August 2012 21:57:43 Alex Schuster wrote:
I wrote:
Well, all I can do now is to get a new board and see if things will
be okay then.
[...]
So I had to wait. And when it became available, I wondered if it
might be the processor instead that has the problem, so I let the PC
shop diagnose CPU and board. This took until today, and they
confirmed it was the board indeed, not the CPU.

Let me get this straight. The shop ran tests and concluded that the
motherboard was faulty, not the CPU?

Yes.

Fine, I bought the board

...it having been tested and found faulty!

Well, obviously not the defective board I already owned, but a new one of the same type. Yes. Defects happen, and because one specific board suddenly has a problem after working fine for half a year, I do not assume that all of these boards will likely fail. And it seems to be the only board having the features I want, at least in the price range of about 100€. Most have two memory banks only, so I would either have to use only 8GB out of 16 GB, or buy new RAM. And I want on-board graphics, I do not want to buy an extra graphics adapter that needs power or has a noisy fan. There were NVidia boards I think, but I prefer Radeon, that finally seems to work just fine, after having lots of trouble in the past with both NVidia and an older Radeon system.

        Wonko