On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:04:55 -0500
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Rule #1 in dealing with odd weird strange computer faults is ALWAYS
> > test with another PSU of at least twice the capacity you think you
> > need.
>
> +1  I always start with the P/S.  Well, unless I see something else
> unrelated letting the smoke out.  Even then tho, a bad P/S can cause
> the smoke to get out of something else too.  It's good advice all the
> way around.
>
> Why not let the computer shop test the P/S?  If it blows up something
> of theirs, it's bad.  ;-)

You obviously have a much better opinion of the average repair techie
than I do. The average repair techie would know how to fault find his
way out of a paper bag - the "change bits till it starts working" is
the only technique they know.

That's not to say you don't get good ones - you do - but they are rare.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com