Pandu Poluan wrote:

> Oh, we like digressions :-)
>
> I recall that sometimes last year, Tom's Hardware tested running a
> system without heat sink... but completely immersed in... cooking oil!
> They made a large acrylic container, poured in gallons of high-quality
> cooking oil, then proceeded to overclock the CPU and GPU to unholy
> frequencies...
>
> And, IIRC, Seymour Cray likes to use some inert fluoride-based coolant
> to dunk the components of his supercomputer machines. And he would
> even go to lengths to design a "coolant fountain" that's not only
> functional, but also decorative.
>
> > The only caveat, is to get a cooling system, that is made of robust,
> quality
> > components. Also, monitoring the temperature is important, and it'd be
> > nice to have a micro pressure transmitter, downstream of the pumping
> mechanism
> > to ensure no leaks by detecting tiny leaks BEFORE they happen (delta-P).
> >

> That's the only qualms I have Re: water-coolant. I always an afraid of
> leaks. So, I always wimped out and use the thermal wick kind of
> almost, but not quite, somewhat similar to liquid coolant ;-)
>
> Rgds,
> --

I seen on a show once that they use mineral oil when they put those
robots in deep water.  You know, the ones that are remote controlled and
go VERY VERY deep.  Anyway, they put mineral oil in it because it is not
conductive, transmits heat pretty well and it doesn't let the water
pressure crush the little robot.  It can't crush it since it is full of
a liquid already.

If that is true, why not use mineral oil instead of water?  I understand
that could mean a change in hoses and such but still, if they can make
hoses that can stand up to gas and other really nasty stuff then why not
mineral oil too?  At least with that, if you get a leak it won't burn
out your mobo or whatever else it gets on.  It would be messy tho.  o_O

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!