Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 16:35:21 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>> So my experience doesn't matter any then?  My /usr does vary and
>> sometimes varies quite a bit.  That is why I had to resize the thing.
>> Saying that I didn't make it large enough to begin with isn't the
>> point.  When people use LVM, the reason they use it is so that we can
>> resize things when needed.
>
> On a desktop system, it is not unusual for /usr usage to vary, as you
> install, and maybe remove, various packages as your needs change.
>
> As for not making it large enough to begin with, isn't one of the
> advantages of using LVM that you don't need to try to guess future usage
> and only need to make the LV large enough for today's needs. That's one
> of the main reasons I used LVM, before The One True Way[tm] was available
> on Linux.
>
> Keep on using LVM if it is right for you, and it apparently is, but you
> will have to compromise on using an initramfs to do so reliably in the
> future.
>
> I seriously recommend you look at the Wiki page on making your own
> initramfs. One of the problems people have with them, and I was one of
> them, is that they are a black box, a binary blob that does some magic to
> get your system booted. Playing around with creating your own shows you
> just how simple and basic they really are, a busybox binary and a couple
> of lines of shell script to mount / and /usr. If you fear the unknown,
> get to know it.

I already did that.  I'm pretty sure the first try was following a
Gentoo wiki.  It failed.  I googled and I'm pretty sure I posted the
error on here to, I never got it to work and as far as I know, no one
had a fix either.  I just know it didn't work.  I then tried another
wiki and it also failed but differently.  I also tried doing the one
with it built into the kernel, wouldn't boot then either.  Dracut
worked, at least I guess it did, but if it ever breaks, no clue what to
do and if I can't boot, same boat again.  I'm staring at a error with no
clue how to fix it.

The point is, whether with or without a init thingy, first failed boot
that I can't readily fix, time to learn something else new.  A computer
that doesn't boot isn't of much use for me.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!