On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:57 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:

> On 2013-09-30 1:10 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > 150gb for / with usr and you will be fine for ages.
>
> I'm curious what a common/average size is for desktops...
>
> My /usr, without portage files, is @ 5GB.
>
> My current / is only 83M, so even after I merge /usr into it, it will
> still be only @ 5GB...
>
> But, this is a server, so...
>
> For an average desktop, loaded with software (say, KDE, Libreoffice,
> etc), how much will /usr grow to? Or more specifically, what is a
> *reasonable* maximum one could expect?

My desktop

% df /usr
Filesystem     Type  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
silastic/usr   zfs    32G   15G   17G  48% /usr

My laptop

% df /usr
Filesystem     Type  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
bangbang/usr   zfs    16G  9.1G  6.6G  59% /usr

Both with KDE and LO, but no portage. $PORTDIR is on /var,
$DISTDIR and $PKGDIR are on an NFS mount.

--
Neil Bothwick

"There are some ideas so idiotic that only an intellectual could believe
them" George Orwell