On Sunday 29 September 2013 14:45:05 Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-09-29 2:25 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Tanstaafl wrote:
> >> The way I see it, if you cannot provide a rational answer to that
> >> question, then  there is no reason for you to use this as a reason to
> >> abandon gentoo, only a reason to merge /usr into /...
> >
> > Simple, I have never had to resize / or /boot before.  I have had to
> > resize /usr, /var and /home several times tho.  THAT is the reason.
>
> Ok, but... everything I've read and personal experience over the years
> shows that space required for /usr should not change much, especially
> constantly grow over time (like requirements for /home can and will)- it
> may fluctuate (increase, decrease) *a little* over time, but it
> definitely should not grow substantially, so, if you had to resize it,
> most likely it is because you simply didn't allocate enough room to
> start with.

Then what would be a correct size for the "/" partition when putting "/usr" on
there as well?
I have had no issues with giving "/" 500MB, "/boot" another 500MB and have
everything else with minimal values on LVM and extending partitions without
rebooting the machine whenever necessary.
If I am now forced to put "/usr" on "/", detailed steps on how to migrate all
my systems succesfully with minimal downtime would be appreciated. Along with
a size-indication that will:
1) Always be sufficient
2) Not be a waste of valuable diskspace

> > For me, it doesn't matter if it is rational to YOU or not.
>
> Sorry, but rationality is not subjective. Just because something seems
> to be rational to you doesn't mean that it is.
>
> You have still not stated a logical, rational reason for wanting a
> separate /usr.

Dale has, and so have I, see above.

> > I am the one doing things on my puter not you or anyone else. If the
> > init thingy fails, that will be me staring at a error message, not
> > you.
>
> I don't want one of those things either, but that isn't what I was
> questioning you about.
>
> Of course you can do whatever you want *and* are technically capable of
> on your own computer, but that doesn't automatically make those things
> logical or rational.
>
> I did see one good case for a separate /usr (someone who was using
> ancient PATA drives, and something about striping for performance), but
> that was obviously a corner case...

Actually, it isn't a corner case.
Striping increases performance, I use it as well.
Why put all the software that I load when needed (and expect to be thrown out
of memory when not used) on a single disk when you have the option to put all
that on a RAID0 (striping) set?

--
Joost