On 10/20/2013 06:02 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am 20.10.2013 12:52, schrieb Daniel Campbell:

>>> 'have been around for a while' - replace that with 'are financing more
>>> core developers than anybody else'.
>>>
>> That's less reason to trust, not more. That's like citing the popularity
>> of something as proof of its quality, when oftentimes it's the exact
>> opposite that's true.
>>
>> So they spend a lot of money hiring developers. The more important
>> question is what is their agenda? What do they tell those developers to
>> *make*? You don't hire people without a business plan in mind.
>>

> without Redhat, there would be no linux. gnu software would be massively
> lacking and X would be without drivers.
>
> So calm down.

Linux was created and released in 1991, built with GNU tools. Red Hat
didn't come along until 1993. Linux and GNU would both still be here;
their quality without Red Hat involvement is speculative at best.

I maintain that motives matter more than money and that they (motives)
should continually be audited, especially when receiving contributions
from a company. They may already be; I don't know.

Re: drivers, do you expect me to believe Red Hat is responsible for
every X11 driver out there? How many of this list?[1] What of radeon and
nouveau? nvidia's own driver? xf86-input-wacom (and linuxwacom)[2]? I'm
sure Red Hat has contributed plenty to X11, but your statement is
flat-out false.

[1]: http://www.usinglinux.org/x11-drivers/
[2]: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/