on 01/29/2014 05:59 PM James wrote the following:

>>> Once the newer kernel series come out, the newer versions
>>> of a series (usually) slow way down on being delivered.
>> Not necessarily, if some devs are maintaining a series as "long term",
>> which, I think, is the case for the 3.10.X series (if I am not wrong).
>
> Long term kernel series usually have one key guy (Cox historically) versus
> thousands of devs work on things for new/latest/upcoming kernel releases. I
> am a big fan of Alan Cox, as many of us are, and he is quite prolific
> to be sure, but what you are saying, makes you appear, ignorant
> of kernel development processes.

I know I am mostly ignorant of kernel development processes.

> I only use Alan Cox, as an example;
> I have no idea who the long-term kernel maintainer is now, but
> historically it's been somebody with a vested interest, or
> some poor-unappreciated sap....imho.

Googling about kernel maintainer for long term 3.10, I found the
following page:
http://kroah.com/log/blog/2013/08/04/longterm-kernel-3-dot-10/
Would he (Greg) be the one?

> The purpose of the long-term maintained kernels is in-fact and indeed,
> so that folks do not have to change kernels often.

Yea, maybe, but not my case though (see below).

> Those features that
> are fixed in a kernel series, are also "pulled-forward" into
> the newer kernels series. FEW have valid reasons not to upgrade to
> the newer series of stable kernels.

Right, unless ...

> Sometimes folks have to stay with a kernel series, because a vendor
> binary patch forces them into this situation.

That's my case, ie Nvidia drivers for a relatively old hardware (AGP
Graphics).

> In that case, the
> vendor supplied patch might not even work (compile) with newer kernels
> in a particular series. Commercial vendor support of a binary
> wedged into a linux kernel, is fraught with all sorts of issues
> quite often. Staying within a given kernel series is easier (mostly)
> for companies to maintain a binary patch, with a poorly qualified
> (learning?) noob kernel hacker, imho.....

Bingo :)

> If you want further help, you have to precisely define "why"
> you need to stay in a particular kernel series, but yet
> you need to be notified, immediately,

Well, I didn't say or mean "immediately", but, you know...make our time
easier... maybe invest it better...

> without expending some extra effort yourself?
<snip>

>> My situation, is not so complicated hopefully :P
>
> Do tell the specifics.. I'm scratching my head, wondering whats up with your
> need.......

Nothing special. I am merely a home user, maintaining a few PCs. That's all.

Thanks James :)