Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:

> > Maybe you chose unwisely?............(get ATI next time) unless

> I've used nVidia cards for many years. When I bought my first one
> (maybe 20  years ago) ATI support in Linux was woeful, and the doggerel
> had it that the hardware was less competent too, so I chose nVidia.
>
> Since then I've seen more cries for help on this list from ATI
> owners than nVidia, so it's not clear to me which is the better choice
> these days. > Since I don't do bigotry my choice is on technical grounds,
> and I don't > need hardware 3D acceleration. So the jury's still out as
> far as I'm concerned.  Well, maybe CUDA might ramp up my contribution
> rate to BOINC projects a bit.  Again, no obvious winner.

I agree with all you have said. However Nvidia's policies, not their
hardware, is the problem, hence the degraded comment on their reputation.
A company may struggle with the latest, robust hardware, but they
do not have to behave as "jerks". Nvidia's lack of copperation with
their old hardware, puts them in the "jerks" column in my mindset.
Even cisco provides full and complete sources, (from russia with love!).

The person is using old hardware, and for a very long time, ATI has
been the better choice for folks using old (video) hardware. He's not
pushing the  limits of performance; he just wants (needs?) a video card with
an open source solution.  I like to (stongly) suggest to folks to
use their "checkbook" to influence the behavior of vendors, ymmv.

Folks with low_dollars are almost aways better off with ATI, particualar
if they intend to run 'vintage video hardware', imho.

peace and good hunting,
James