On 09/07/2014 22:48, James wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

>>> paste into the body of the message,
>>> most people, with GUI mail

>>> pastebin services are hardly
>>> messages are archived in multiple

>>> to other people with the same
>>>
>>> I'll agree, this is excellent advise. However, I use game.org to read
>>> and post to gentoo-user. So how do you attached a txt file to
>>> those postings via gmane? Options to get the txt file attachemnent into the
>>> proper record?
>>
>> gentoo-user is a mailing list. It receives mail to the list address and
>> forwards them on to all subscribers. It's all done by mail.
>>
>> Now someone has built an email<->web_thingy gateway. It is deficient by
>> design and as you point out doesn't do big posts AT ALL.
>>
>> That's too bad, but you chose that option and now you must deal with
>> it's deficiencies and shortcomings.
>>
>> Sorry for the tone but that really is how it is.
>
> What tone? You call that "tone" ? You're slipping..... been to
> too many 'team' meetings lately?
>
> Agreeded; just pointing it out. I find gmane too useful so
> I tend to prune and post succinctly. Rarely do I need to put
> up a big long post. But I do read and snip before posting;
> so my approach is a valid as any..... focus, snip and post goes
> a long way, but it does require some reading and editing skills,
> just to set the record straight. Noobs can follow who they like,
> as they like, when they like....
>
> When needed I just use an  nntp font end...... (oh, had my own
> solution already?)   tricky; precious; tricky........
>
> You're slipping, you old_fart ?

Not so much slipping, more like new job, new employer.

It used to go like this:

Q: Alan, can I ... <insert something stupid here>?
A: No. Because I said so. Now piss off.

I don't have quite the same street credd here yet, so now it's more like:

Q: Alan, can I ... <insert something stupid here>?
A: I don't recommend that because ... <insert some politely worded
well-thought out rationale here>

--
Alan McKinnon