capsel wrote:
> 2005/9/17, Dave Nebinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>>So for example lp* stays (it's another one that disappears), all hdc?
>>>stays, but hdc still is not there. File devices.tar.bz2 is updated by
>>>system and it has not hdc.
>>>What else can I do?
>>
>>Not use the tarball option?
>>
>>I mean, seriously, are you really seeing it's saving you anything at boot?
>>I couldn't tell any noticeable difference, so I've been running w/o tarball
>>for months...
>>
>>--
>>

> With RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes" lp* and all hdc? except hdc stays, and I
> can see "saving device nodes" not at boot but when shutting
> down/reboot.
> With RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no" hdc is created, and lp*, hdc? does not exist.
>
> I'll try to emerge sync now...
> It is really strange. I haven't ever had such symptoms, even when I
> switched from 2.4/devfsd to 2.6/udev.

Hi,
i put RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no"(permanently) a long time ago, had no problems.
Now checked and currently it's set to "yes" but this is due to the fact
i had do a complete reinstall a week ago (dying hard on it's way).
IIRC when it is set to "no" udev creates all necessary nodes, you only
have to put your own rules to support new/exotic hardware.
Now will cp the tarball somewhere for backup and change to 'no'.
HTH. Rumen