On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 05 Jul 2015 09:43:07 meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to install Gentoo Linux on a Nexus 7 tablet (one
>> WITHOUT phone functionality (no 3G)) ?
>
> Yes, as far as I know you can multiboot systems on this device, so cross-
> compile your Gentoo system and install it.  It may be easier to compare
> drivers and modules with Ubuntu installations so as to get a head start.
> There is relevant post in the forums:
>
>  https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-998188.html

You might want to give a bit of thought to what you mean by "install
Gentoo" as well.

Do you want Gentoo on bare metal (ie you're going to either get some
kind of text console working, or x11)?  Do you just want a chroot
running on a traditional android OS (that is trivial to do)?  Do you
want something like prefix (which gives you a lot more Gentoo in the
Android space, but it is still running Android for the main OS)?  That
forum post looks to be going down the route of Gentoo on bare metal.

The advantage of the Prefix route is that you may be able to get more
traditional x11-oriented applications to run, while still having all
the device-optimized Android features and applications.

--
Rich