Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> [15-07-05 13:04]:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday 05 Jul 2015 09:43:07 meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> >>
> >> Is it possible to install Gentoo Linux on a Nexus 7 tablet (one
> >> WITHOUT phone functionality (no 3G)) ?
> >
> > Yes, as far as I know you can multiboot systems on this device, so cross-
> > compile your Gentoo system and install it.  It may be easier to compare
> > drivers and modules with Ubuntu installations so as to get a head start.
> > There is relevant post in the forums:
> >
> >  https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-998188.html
> >

> You might want to give a bit of thought to what you mean by "install
> Gentoo" as well.
>
> Do you want Gentoo on bare metal (ie you're going to either get some
> kind of text console working, or x11)?  Do you just want a chroot
> running on a traditional android OS (that is trivial to do)?  Do you
> want something like prefix (which gives you a lot more Gentoo in the
> Android space, but it is still running Android for the main OS)?  That
> forum post looks to be going down the route of Gentoo on bare metal.
>
> The advantage of the Prefix route is that you may be able to get more
> traditional x11-oriented applications to run, while still having all
> the device-optimized Android features and applications.
>
> --
> Rich

Hi Rich,

...oooouuuhh...I am just in process of evaluating whether a Nexus 7 is
the right thing to buy for my purpose.....

The background is the following:
I have a portable shortwave radio (size of a pocket book), which is
best used outside the house, because of the HF noise floor in the
house.
There are a lot more things to receive on shortwave than
"""ordinary""" (not meant negatively!!!) broadcasters. Starting with
HAM radio CW, STTV, weather fax and much more.
For all these "non human speech" transmission one can get decoder
software, which get feed the audio signal of the receiver and spit
out whatever contents its payload is.

Therefore I need a "something LInux", which allows me to compile
and install stuff on it even if its not part of that distribution.

I am using Gentoo on my PC and on my embedded boards, so.....

What I definetly DONT want is a smartphone or any other
NSA/CIA/MOSSAD/KGB/whetever-sponsored tracking device...
The possibilitu pf changing the accumulator in any way
would be very nice also. I dont like to buy electronics
with an implied "Best before end"-stamp on it... ;)

What do you think?

Or any other device of that size?

Best regards,
Meino