> I like and use VirtualBox a lot (and agree it's easy to use.)
>
> But the performance and USB handling mean that I need Windows or other
> OS' on bare metal most of the time.  I don't know how well Dell's crap^W
> support stuff runs in a VM.

The contrary experience here, USB has been the thing that got me to
use VirtualBox many times, I have put usb drivers, printers, 3g
modems, even adb trough the pass-trough feature of virtualbox, with no
problems, in fact for some years for printing purposes I had to use a
VM, and Virtualbox was the fastest to get working(click conect usb
printer, install the windows drivers, print). I'm suspecting you also
didn't run it with a very new computer, a server 2012 could run fine
for testing some stuff, with 1 core limit and 512M RAM over here,
using the virtualization capabilities of the processor. but I haven't
dealt with DELL hardware.

BTW, to Alan, I have never had to call to support for any laptop, but
do they really have someone that could know more than you to help? I
would seriously suspect most cases you are just talking to a call
center agent whom clearly isn't doing a job that requires much
knowledge about computers, that may be just reading some general
'reboot your pc' type instructions, and would likely suggest you to go
to a professional technician at the arise of the slightest seemingly
serious problem. But I might be wrong, and dell support could be
awesome(I hardly think so, I know a lot of people who give support at
call centers).