On Sun, Jul 26 2015, Daniel Frey wrote:

> On 07/26/2015 07:35 AM, gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:
>> The system came with windows 7 on the whole disk 500GB.  To shrink it to
>> 50 takes work as there are "unmovable" files in the middle (the "" are
>> there since you must actually moved them).  Anyway I didn't try but
>> simply removed the big partition (I left the "dell" partition and the
>> windows recovery partition).  I then installed linux (an error) leaving
>> a partition for windows.
>
> Now I can't go and look back on the thread as I've deleted some
> messages... is this a new laptop with an UEFI BIOS? If that's the case
> you must use GPT with UEFI while booting Windows, and make sure Secure
> Boot is off in the BIOS settings if you want to use linux. I am not sure
> if Windows will boot if it was installed with Secure Boot on.

The system does have a uefi bios but I am using the old mbr interface as
I (perhaps mistakenly) thought it would be harder to learn uefi than
to deal with the clunky but known mbr interface

>> With my laptop I got a windows 8.1 recovery/installation flash drive.
>> I installed 8.1 (trivial) and then the trouble began.  8.1 is a *very*
>> different interface.  I couldn't even find logout.  Also the version
>> sent is buggy.  I don't remember how I eventually exited.  After that
>> the system wouldn't boot from the hard drive even after I re-executed
>> grub2-install and fdisk (both from the arch linux flash drive).
>
> A couple tips: The menu in Windows 8.1 is truly buggered. Easiest way to
> shut down is use Ctrl+Alt+Del, there'll be a power button at either the
> top right or lower right of the screen. If you use the Windows Key+X it
> shows an *actual* menu with useful shortcuts.

Thanks for these.  Dell told me some tips as well.
I can successfully boot / login / logoff / halt
which is all I expect to use.
I dual boot windows just for the convenience of dell support.
If I have need for their help (I hope not) I just call and do what they
say.

thanks again,
allan