On Sat, Jul 25 2015, Mick wrote:

> On Saturday 25 Jul 2015 16:32:19 Daniel Frey wrote:
>
>> Is Windows writing a hybrid partition table? Maybe use something like
>> parted to check.
>>
>> Dan
>
> MSwindows these days installs a separate boot partition.  The MSWindows boot
> manager can be chainloaded from there, but then it needs to be able to read
> the (GPT) partition table of the main OS, which in this case seems to be
> having trouble with.  However, I am thinking that the URL I posted may refer
> to the bootloader (as in the MBR boot code) having trouble booting from a GPT
> table, rather than the MSWindows boot manager itself .... hmmm ... this needs
> some testing.
>
> Allan, have you tried first creating the partitions and FAT32/NTFS
> filesystems, BEFORE you attempted to install MSWindows?

Thank you and daniel for your help.

The system came with windows 7 on the whole disk 500GB.  To shrink it to
50 takes work as there are "unmovable" files in the middle (the "" are
there since you must actually moved them).  Anyway I didn't try but
simply removed the big partition (I left the "dell" partition and the
windows recovery partition).  I then installed linux (an error) leaving
a partition for windows.

Linux installed cleanly (after applying canek's two-step procedure for
profile setting).

With my laptop I got a windows 8.1 recovery/installation flash drive.
I installed 8.1 (trivial) and then the trouble began.  8.1 is a *very*
different interface.  I couldn't even find logout.  Also the version
sent is buggy.  I don't remember how I eventually exited.  After that
the system wouldn't boot from the hard drive even after I re-executed
grub2-install and fdisk (both from the arch linux flash drive).

I then belatedly remembered that I should install windows first so that
linux is the last one to set the boot loader.  Windows (8.1) installed
trivially but worked very poorly.  I called dell, and they had me
install windows updates and network drivers.  Then windows worked.
But the interface is still foreign.

I am now reinstalling gentoo from the arch-linux flash.

allan

PS reinstalling linux is very much faster that doing it the first time;
the handbook seems much better than it seemed last week.  I only install
once every three years when I buy a new machine and have forgotten
everything.