Am Tue, 22 Dec 2015 14:04:12 +0000
schrieb Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>:

> On Tuesday 22 Dec 2015 01:12:10 Kai Krakow wrote:
> > Am Tue, 22 Dec 2015 00:54:35 +0000
> >
> > schrieb Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>:

> > > Thanks again Neil.  I don't think this is as you suggest.  I never
> > > had wired or wireless interfaces enabled to start at boot time,
> > > because ifplugd started them up as necessary.
> > >
> > > From the README file:
> > >    The network interface which is controlled by ifplugd should
> > > not be configured automatically by your distribution's network
> > > subsystem, since ifplugd will do this for you if needed.
> >
> > But that doesn't apply here because the "net.* plugin" starts
> > ifplugd, and defers further initializations until ifplugd detects a
> > link.
> >
> > This is what I meant when I talked about pushing ifplugd further
> > down the layer. I just didn't remember that this is now solved by a
> > plugin in net.* itself.
> >
> > Don't enable ifplugd service. Openrc will do its magic.
>
> There is no means of enabling or disabling the ifplugd service that I
> have found, because there is no /etc/init.d/ifplugd script.  Once
> installed ifplugd always starts at boot and daemonizes, configuring
> or tearing down connections as a link is detected or lost.

As far as I understood, you now start ifplugd using the associated
net.* init script. Openrc will detect that ifplugd is installed and
then wait until a cable is plugged, plus starting an instance listening
on the device.

> To make it clearer, this is how it used to work on two laptops:
>
> I install ifplugd and remove from rc-update any net.<iface> that I
> have configured.  ifplugd will always start at boot as a daemon and
> will bring up and configure the wired NIC once a cable is detected.
> There is no start up script in /etc/init.d/ installed by default,
> although the man page mentions it, along
> with /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf, which is also not installed.  This is
> the only file that installed on my systems:
>
> # find /etc -iname *ifplug*
> /etc/ifplugd
> /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action

Its clear how it used to work but I think the semantics changed. Since
I do no longer use openrc I cannot confirm how the rest of the services
react to and activated net.* init script if ifplugd is active through
the plugin. I suppose dependent scripts should only be triggered after
the cable is plugged in.

This is also why there is no config file: Its configured dynamically
through the plugin and the interface specific init script.

> I started this thread because recently I have to start my wired
> interface manually, after which point ipfplugd also starts,
> daemonizes and manages the connection.  This is not how it used to
> work - I never had to start the wired interface myself.

This is how it works now: ifplugd is started through the interface
script.

You may need to start and stop network dependent service through
ifplugd.action instead of enabling them statically through openrc. But
again: I'm not sure about it. It may be worth a try.

> Furthermore, starting ifplugd on a terminal now shows that it is
> listening on eth0 instead of enp11s0, but hadn't tried this before
> things broke.  According to the man page eth0 is the default, but I
> can't recall manually specifying a different interface for ifplugd in
> the past.  It always brought up the wired interface, no matter what
> it was called.

This is due to its defaults mentioned in the man page: It defaults to
eth0. Gentoo no longer installs a config file.

--
Regards,
Kai

Replies to list-only preferred.