On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 3:43 PM Manuel McLure <man...@mclure.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 11:40 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On that note, I thought about going to some lawyers offices and Doctors
>> and asking them to let me know when they upgrade their printers.
>

> A lot of those bigger printers/print centers are leased, so you might not
> have a lot of luck getting a used one.

That, and large companies usually go through some kind of asset
recovery service which will do auctions or sales.

Note that you're not going to get some kind of "crazy deal" on stuff
like this.  These are workhorses whose value is well-extracted by the
time they're sold, and then they're sold for what is probably a very
fair price.  If they are cheap, it is because they're not expected to
last all that long or they're expected to not be worth the upkeep
costs.

Of course, as an individual your tolerance for fussing with hardware
to get a good deal might be different.  A company that has to dispatch
somebody to drive to an office to fix a printer when it jams will have
a lower tolerance for this than somebody who is willing to get their
hands dirty to do it themselves.  Just as back in the day companies
would happily spend $150 on an LED light bulb simply to avoid the
expense of sending a union custodian to climb a ladder to change one
in an inconvenient fixture.

I'd certainly look at your used options, but you can get a nice
monochrome laser printer for under $200 which will last a very long
time with a respectable per-page cost.  It is true that the cost per
page goes down as you scale up all the way to printing presses the
size of buildings, but you really need to weigh capital vs operational
costs.  I'm obviously at the other extreme by paying Staples
$0.10/page for monochrome, but with zero capital outlay.

--
Rich