On Friday, 26 April 2019 18:00:13 BST Dale wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
> > On 2019-04-22, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On the question of ethernet. [...] Do I plug the printer into the
> >> router or do I have to connect it to the puter itself?  I think I
> >> read somewhere ages ago, on this list most likely, that you plug it
> >> into the router.
> >
> > Yes, that's how it's usually done.
> >
> >> That way all puters hooked to the router can access it.
> >
> > Exactly.
>
> Picking last reply.  I got the printer, removed all the shipping stuff,
> did the normal setup and got a test page printed from CUPS, in color.
> I'm taking this from the CUPS printer page that shows the connection.
> It printed from Kwrite and shows as ready for other programs as well.  I
> would like someone to confirm that this is the best way to have this set
> up.  I googled and can't find a howto for this.  Most everything I found
> referenced .rpm and .deb stuff.

Printers are plug 'n play these days.  There is no manual configuration
needed, unless your PCs and/or router configurations do not use zeroconf/mDNS.

> Lexmark_C2325dw (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Not Shared)
> Location:    Local Printer
> Driver:    Lexmark C2300 Series (color, 2-sided printing)
> Connection:    ipp://192.168.2.6
> Defaults:    job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in
> sides=two-sided-long-edge
>

> The only way I could find to print is using the ipp thingy, at least it
> was the first way I could print successfully.  Still, is this the proper
> way?

The printer manual should state what protocols it able to communicate over.
Failing this, try to login using its web GUI (usually on port 80) with a
browser.  There will be some network configuration page where information may
be provided on what protocols/ports are available.

> P. S.  Is there anything special I should do to make sure no one can
> access my printer over the internet and do something bad?  Does the DSL
> modem and router protect that by default?

When you access the printer over its web GUI set up a password - it should
probably ask you for it.  In addition, switch off any services you do not use,
assuming it offers you such a choice, e.g. SNMP.  Finally, disable the WiFi on
the printer, if it offers this option.

Regarding your modem, unless it is NAT-ing fully, like a router would, it will
expose your router to the Internet.  In any case, your router will isolate
WAN-LAN from probing eyes with its NAT - so you should be safe enough.
--
Regards,
Mick