On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 6:00 AM Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Printers are plug 'n play these days.  There is no manual configuration
> needed, unless your PCs and/or router configurations do not use zeroconf/mDNS.

I don't think that routers need to do anything to support mDNS - I
think it is purely a P2P sort of thing.  Maybe if the router picks up
on mDNS and runs its own DNS resolver and bridges the two it might add
value, but I doubt that is a normal thing.  I'm not sure if you can
even do that with software on Linux (I mean, it should be possible,
but I don't think it has been implemented and there could be good
reasons not to).

mDNS needs to be supported more on the PC side.  Note that while most
desktop-oriented distros support it by default, it isn't part of the
base Gentoo install (which is fairly minimal).  I don't think the
desktop profile pulls it in either by default (maybe we should think
about changing that).  Getting it running on Gentoo is very simple
though: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Avahi

--
Rich