Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

>>> So in the scenario you are suggesting, is grub working, giving you a
>>> boot choice screen, and your new Gentoo install is not working so
>>> you want to choose Knoppix to repair whatever is wrong with
>>> Gentoo?
>> Given I have a 500GB drive, I got plenty of space.  Heck, a 10GB
>> partition each is more than enough for either Knoppix or LiveGUI.  I
>> could even store info on there about drive partitions and scripts that I
>> use a lot.  Jeez, that's a idea.
> Back in the day, I was annoyed that whenever I needed $LIVE_SYSTEM, I had to
> reformat an entire USB stick for that. In times when you don’t even get
> sticks below 8 GB anymore, I found it a waste of material and useful storage
> space.
>
> And then I found ventoy: https://www.ventoy.net/
>
> It is a mini-Bootloader which you install once to a USB device, kind-of a
> live system of its own. But when booting it, it dynamically scans the
> content of its device and creates a new boot menu from it. So you can put
> many ISOs on one device as simple files, delete them, upgrade them,
> whatever, and then you can select one to boot from. Plus, the rest of the
> stick remains usable as storage, unlike sticks that were dd’ed with an ISO.
>
> -- Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’ Please do not share anything
> from, with or about me on any social network. The four elements:
> earth, air and firewater.

I made a USB stick with Ventoy on it but hadn't had a chance to boot
anything with it until a few days ago. I currently have the following on
ONE USB stick.

CUSTOMRESCUECD-x86_64-0.12.8.iso
KNOPPIX_V9.1DVD-2021-01-25-EN.iso
livegui-amd64-20230402T170151Z.iso
memtest86.iso
systemrescuecd-x86-5.3.2.iso

I'm having trouble with the Custom Rescue one but it could be bad since
all the others work.  CRC does try to boot but then fails.  If one were
to buy a 64GB stick, one could put a LOT of images on there.  Mine is
just a 32GB and look what I got on there.

Anyone who boots using USB on occasion should really try this thing
out.  It is as easy as Frank says.  You install the Ventoy thing on it
and then just drop the files on there.  After that, it just works.  This
thing is awesome.  Whoever came up with this thing had a really good
slide rule. This one stick replaces five doing it the old way.

Seriously, try this thing.  Thanks to Frank for posting about it.  I'd
never heard of it.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S. I put my old Gigabyte 770T mobo back together.  My old video card
died so I had to order one of those.  It also needed a new button
battery.  Now I'm waiting on a pack of hard drives to come in.  I
ordered a pack of five 320GB drives.  For a OS, plenty big enough.  I
also ordered a pair of USB keyboards since all I have laying around is
PS/2 types now.  On my main rig, I put in another 18GB hard drive.  I'm
replacing a 16TB on one VG and plan to use the 16TB on another VG to
replace a 8GB.  That will increase the size of both VGs.  Hopefully next
month I can order the case for the new rig.  Then I get to save up for
CPU, mobo and memory.  Just a little update for those following my puter
escapades.  LOL