On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:41:23 -0500, Dale wrote:

> >> Neil, I tired that command journalctl but not sure about the
> >> options. It either returned a lot or nothing related.  I'll make
> >> note of the systemctl command.  If Ubuntu survives, I may need it
> >> one day.  ;-)
> > If it returned nothing with  -p err, nothing logged an error since the
> > last boot, which is odd considering something is broken. without -p
> > err, you get everything from the system log, it's like doing "cat
> > /var/log/messages" but only since the last reboot. You could pipe that
> > through grep, searching for the name of your network interface.

> Well, I didn't search for err.  I followed some other advice I found
> while searching.

Adding -p err means you only see error messages sent to the system log,
skipping the reams of info stuff. I always run "journalctl -b -p err"
after booting a new kernel, it tells me instantly if I've made a screw up.

Of course, if I screw up really badly, the thing doesn't even boot...

--
Neil Bothwick

I am Zaphod of Borg. Now, where's the coolest place to be assimilated...