Mark Knecht wrote:

> > This wasn't the kernel.  It was doing something else.  I googled for
> it and others had the same issue but I never found where there was a
> fix.  Odd thing is, it didn't do it every time.  Just most of the
> time.  When I was having network problems, it added a few more wait
> times.  Once it took about 5 minutes from grub to a login prompt.
> >

> I get that the installation is gone so we'll likely never know what
> happened but that said I would have thought sudo dmesg after a login
> would have probably shown if something weird was holding up giving you
> a login opportunity.
>
> Strange to me that you didn't investigate it.
>
> I have 4 Ubuntu-based machines here and over the last 6 years I've
> never seen a 1 minute delay to login, much less 5 minutes.
>
> When I look in the kernel ring buffer on my desktop machine I see most
> everything done in 14 seconds from power-on. After that there are some
> delays on the order of 90 seconds for a wireless network I don't
> actually use much to be authenticated, and then a few apparmor
> comments out around 5 minutes, but none of that impairs normal login.
>
> I think you are better off running Gentoo. You do you, right?
>
> I hope the new setup works well for you.
>
> - Mark

I recall it said it was waiting on something.  I can't for the life of
me remember what it was tho.  I did look at dmesg but didn't see
anything.  Of course, I wasn't real sure what to look for either.  I
think it was looking for something that wasn't there yet.  Looked at to
much puter stuff to remember now.  :/

Yep.  I started to do this to begin with.  I kinda wanted to see what
Ubuntu was like.  Now I know.  It would be OK for a temporary setup.  I
don't think I'd like it long term tho.

If I get some files renamed later on, I may try to do a backup and see
if everything works, speed etc.  About out of steam.

Dale

:-)  :-)