Dale wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> Well, I didn't search for err.  I followed some other advice I found
>>> while searching.
>> Adding -p err means you only see error messages sent to the system log,
>> skipping the reams of info stuff. I always run "journalctl -b -p err"
>> after booting a new kernel, it tells me instantly if I've made a screw up.
>>
>> Of course, if I screw up really badly, the thing doesn't even boot...
>
> I wish I had that info then.  It may have proved helpful.  To be
> honest tho, when it failed the first time and I banged on it pretty
> good, I thought the BIOS messed up.  It wouldn't see anything network
> except in that one place where it showed disabled.  It was weird.
>
> I recall when I installed Gentoo for the very first time, first kernel
> did the panic thing.  I got back to where I could fix it and rebooted
> into a new kernel.  It booted.  Ever since then, even tho I have bad
> luck with so much other stuff, I don't recall having a kernel fail to
> boot the first time.  I may have to go add some driver for some
> trivial thing but it gives me a login so I can work without booting
> rescue CD, mounting, chrooting and all that.   Now if everything else
> would work that good.  ROFL
>
> Thanks for the help.  I'm happy now.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Just a minor update.  I rebooted and tried to mount a encrypted drive.
It failed.  I went back to the Gentoo dm-crypt howto and checked my
kernel config and sure enough, I left a few options out.  I enabled some
more stuff, rebuilt and then rebooted.  After that, I was able to
decrypt and mount the encrypted drive like usual.

Also, I roughly timed the boot up of the new install.  From the time
BIOS comes up to a login prompt, about 40 seconds.  That's not to bad
for a older rig.  BTW, that rig has 16GBs of memory.  Between the faster
CPU, more memory and such, it should be a bit better.  Just wish it had
a case.  :/  I'll get one somewhere.

Now I'm kinda looking forward to updating my backups.  lol

Dale

:-)  :-)