> This wasn't the kernel.  It was doing something else.  I googled for it
and others had the same issue but I never found where there was a fix.  Odd
thing is, it didn't do it every time.  Just most of the time.  When I was
having network problems, it added a few more wait times.  Once it took
about 5 minutes from grub to a login prompt.

I get that the installation is gone so we'll likely never know what
happened but that said I would have thought sudo dmesg after a login would
have probably shown if something weird was holding up giving you a login
opportunity.

Strange to me that you didn't investigate it.

I have 4 Ubuntu-based machines here and over the last 6 years I've never
seen a 1 minute delay to login, much less 5 minutes.

When I look in the kernel ring buffer on my desktop machine I see most
everything done in 14 seconds from power-on. After that there are some
delays on the order of 90 seconds for a wireless network I don't actually
use much to be authenticated, and then a few apparmor comments out around 5
minutes, but none of that impairs normal login.

I think you are better off running Gentoo. You do you, right?

I hope the new setup works well for you.

- Mark