On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 8:03 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wish I could get one that comes with cables
> that go from the card to SATA drives as a set.  That way I know that
> part is right.

I'm pretty sure there are only two standards - one for external, and
one for internal.  Maybe there are different connector sizes.  Just
look up the datasheet on the HBA and it will tell you what connectors
it has.  Then google for the breakout to SATA cable.

> At this point, it seems any LSI card will likely work.

I wouldn't make that claim.  They're definitely one of the biggest
brand but some of their fancier products can be less oriented towards
what you're doing.  Some might require weird disk formats even if
you're exposing individual disks, making the disks unreadable with
other controllers.

> I still wish that mobo had more PCIe slots. It just gives more options
> down the road.  The speed and memory will be nice tho.  When I finally
> hit the order or pay button.  :/

Unfortunately, DIMMs and PCIe slots have become the hallmark of
workstation and server motherboards.  I think this is due to the
adoption of the SOC model on the CPUs.

--
Rich