On Friday, 21 June 2024 20:02:22 BST Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> On my new rig, I've got everything installed.  I mostly been on a
> console which has worked without issue.  Now I've started using the GUI,
> KDE, and I'm having issues.  I wanted to run a command to generate a
> xorg.conf file and it generate all the needed info regarding hardware
> and such since the GUI wasn't working right without a config file.  The
> only one I found is the nvidia one.  It is minimal at best.  Anyway,
> when I try to start display-manager, with or without a config file, I
> get the sddm login.  I login and if I just let it sit there, after a
> minute or so, the monitor goes black.  It is still powered up but
> nothing on the screen at all.  I've moved the mouse and pressed buttons
> on the keyboard to make sure it isn't powering off but nothing.  Also,
> the resolution is pretty low too.  It should run in 1080P easily.  The
> card supports 4K I think.  The monitor tho has ran 1080P on my main rig
> before, for years I might add.
>
> I used tail -f to watch a few error logs.  I watched sddm, messages and
> Xorg.0.log.  The only thing that got added when the monitor went black
> was this:
>

> Jun 21 13:27:41 Gentoo-1 kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Unable
> to read EDID for display device DP-3
> Jun 21 13:29:01 Gentoo-1 kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Unable
> to read EDID for display device LG Electronics W2253 (DP-3)
> Jun 21 13:29:02 Gentoo-1 kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Unable
> to read EDID for display device DP-3
> Jun 21 13:29:03 Gentoo-1 kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Unable
> to read EDID for display device LG Electronics W2253 (DP-3)

There are reports in the interwebs about LG monitors having buggy EDID tables:

https://gist.github.com/kj800x/be3001c07c49fdb36970633b0bc6defb

What is connected at DP-1 and is the problem resolved if you change the port
you connect your monitor on the card?

Do you get an EDID table shown in your Xorg.0.log, or with xrandr --verbose?

Does your ~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log reveal anything more?

> If I let it sit for a good while, it comes back on, sort of.  The plasma
> panel thing on the bottom, where the app menu, clock and all is, doesn't
> come back tho.  Also, the background is just black, no picture like
> usual.  The only thing that shows up is gkrellm.  I'm pretty sure plasma
> died.  I thought maybe it was heat, the fan isn't running on the video
> card or something.  Nvidia shows the card between 25 and 30C.  The fan
> nvidia says is at 34%.  If that is correct, then the fan is running and
> heat is not a issue.  Out comes the flashlight and a mirror.  Yep, fan
> spinning.  According to IR temp thingy, nothing even gets into the 90F
> area.  I think if it was heat, I'd see something getting hot with the IR
> temp thing.
>
> There is two versions of Nvidia driver for this card in the tree.  I've
> tried both, no change at all.  Screen goes black and after a while comes
> back but most of the desktop has crashed.
>
> By the way, I ran the tail command over ssh.  Sometimes when the monitor
> goes black, it doesn't come back.  I can use ssh to reboot and repeat tho.
>
> Did I miss something during the install?  Does the error above cause
> this problem?  If so, how do I fix it?  If you need info, just let me
> know the command to run.  I monitored all I could think of.  The one
> above is all I saw that showed a problem exists.  Given this rig is
> still in testing, I can reboot or anything else as needed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

If this is a buggy EDID, or monitor chip, you should be able to extract the
EDID table and store it as a firmware blob for the video card to load.