On Sunday, 23 June 2024 02:21:11 BST Dale wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> >> root@Gentoo-1 ~ # xrandr --verbose
> >> Can't open display
> >> root@Gentoo-1 ~ #
> >>

> >> That's after I started display-manager but this time, it did nothing.
> >> The screen stayed on a console.  I did move the cable to another port
> >> before booting up.
> >
> > The xerver is not running.
>
> How do I start it?  I did a /etc/init.d/ <tab twice> and I see
> display-manager and xdm.  I been using display-manager.  I have sddm set
> for display-manager.  Like this.
>

> root@Gentoo-1 ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/xdm

What you show below is the content of /etc/conf.d/display-manager, NOT of xdm.

> # We always try and start X on a static VT. The various DMs normally default
> # to using VT7. If you wish to use the xdm init script, then you should
> ensure
> # that the VT checked is the same VT your DM wants to use. We do this
> check to
> # ensure that you haven't accidentally configured something to run on the VT
> # in your /etc/inittab file so that you don't get a dead keyboard.
> CHECKVT=7
>
> # What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | sddm | gpe | lightdm
>
> | entrance ]
>
> # NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
> DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"

Make sure you do not start both xdm and sddm as an rc service concurrently.
Just display-manager will do.

> >> This is the other info except nothing xorg there, just wayland.  See
> >> below for more on that.
> >>

> >> root@Gentoo-1 ~ # cat /home/dale/.local/share/sddm/wayland-session.log
> >
> > I thought you said you were having a problem starting a X session, not
> > starting a Wayland session.  What desktop session are you selecting in
> > your
> > SDDM?
> >
> > [snip ...]
>
> That made me think.  After a few attempts, I got the sddm login screen
> to come up.  I checked and it was logging me into a KDE wayland session,
> as a default.

Wayland has been having problems with sddm for some time now - on some
systems.  I have had to stay with sddm-0.18.1-r8 on this box to be able to
start Wayland, or I end up with a black screen and a blinking cursor on the
top left corner:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/913862
https://bugs.gentoo.org/915483

> I changed it to x11.

Good, let's have some consistency!  :-)

> The first time, it logged in but
> nothing plasma showed up.  No panel at the bottom and a black screen for
> the background.  The only thing there was gkrellm.  I leave it there so
> I can tell if it is working, to some degree at least.  Otherwise, it is
> just a black screen.

OK, partial progress at least.

What happens if you drop into a console and restart display-manager?  Will it
load a full and functioning X11 plasma session?

> > kde-plasma/plasma-meta-6.1.0 is still in testing - I sync'ed earlier
> > today:
> >
> > ~ $ eshowkw kde-plasma/plasma-meta
> >
> > Keywords for kde-plasma/plasma-meta:
> >               |                               |   u   |
> >               | a   a     p s     l r   a     |   n   |
> >               | m   r h   p p   i o i s l m m | e u s | r
> >               | d a m p p c a x a o s 3 p 6 i | a s l | e
> >               | 6 r 6 p p 6 r 8 6 n c 9 h 8 p | p e o | p
> >               | 4 m 4 a c 4 c 6 4 g v 0 a k s | i d t | o
> >
> > --------------+-------------------------------+-------+-------
> > [I]5.27.11-r1 | + ~ + o o ~ o + o ~ ~ o o o o | 8 o 5 | gentoo
> > --------------+-------------------------------+-------+-------
> >
> >      6.1.0    | ~ o o o o o o o o o o o o o o | 8 o 6 | gentoo
>
> I see some qt stuff that is version 6.  KDE has gotten pretty
> confusing.  It depends on qt so much that KDE depends heavily on
> versions matching up somehow.

Best you stick with a stable portage for now, at least until you get your GUI
working.

> Is there a guide about installing the GUI parts, including KDE?  I found
> a Xorg guide.  I'm good all the way down to startx.  At that point,
> nothing.  I installed xterm just so startx should show some windows on
> the screen.  Nothing.  Monitor goes to sleep.

I don't have a clear understanding of what you try, what results you obtain
and what you change in your approach:

- display-manager with sddm, selecting a plasma X11 session?
- display-manager with sddm, selecting a plasma Wayland session?
- startx with xserver?
- startx with wayland?
- startx with something else?