Michael wrote:
> On Friday, 21 June 2024 20:02:22 BST Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> On my new rig, I've got everything installed.  I mostly been on a
>> console which has worked without issue.  Now I've started using the GUI,
>> KDE, and I'm having issues.  I wanted to run a command to generate a
>> xorg.conf file and it generate all the needed info regarding hardware
>> and such since the GUI wasn't working right without a config file.  The
>> only one I found is the nvidia one.  It is minimal at best.  Anyway,
>> when I try to start display-manager, with or without a config file, I
>> get the sddm login.  I login and if I just let it sit there, after a
>> minute or so, the monitor goes black.  It is still powered up but
>> nothing on the screen at all.  I've moved the mouse and pressed buttons
>> on the keyboard to make sure it isn't powering off but nothing.  Also,
>> the resolution is pretty low too.  It should run in 1080P easily.  The
>> card supports 4K I think.  The monitor tho has ran 1080P on my main rig
>> before, for years I might add.
>>
>> I used tail -f to watch a few error logs.  I watched sddm, messages and
>> Xorg.0.log.  The only thing that got added when the monitor went black
>> was this:
>>

>> Jun 21 13:27:41 Gentoo-1 kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Unable
>> to read EDID for display device DP-3
>> Jun 21 13:29:01 Gentoo-1 kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Unable
>> to read EDID for display device LG Electronics W2253 (DP-3)
>> Jun 21 13:29:02 Gentoo-1 kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Unable
>> to read EDID for display device DP-3
>> Jun 21 13:29:03 Gentoo-1 kernel: nvidia-modeset: WARNING: GPU:0: Unable
>> to read EDID for display device LG Electronics W2253 (DP-3)
> There are reports in the interwebs about LG monitors having buggy EDID tables:
>
> https://gist.github.com/kj800x/be3001c07c49fdb36970633b0bc6defb

Reading that link, mine doesn't behave that way.  I see the services
starting up during boot up just fine, small print but it's there, if I
squint a bit.  Also, the sddm login screen shows up just fine.  I might
add, this same monitor works just fine on the NAS box rig and the older
Dell rig I have lurking about.  It also worked fine on my main rig years
ago before I bought a larger monitor.  It is also the monitor I used on
the TrueNAS system when I used it.  It also works fine with Knoppix and
the official Gentoo GUI DVD image.  Basically, this monitor has never
gave me any problems with any Linux based install until this new
install.  That's what confuses me.

> What is connected at DP-1 and is the problem resolved if you change the port
> you connect your monitor on the card?
>
> Do you get an EDID table shown in your Xorg.0.log, or with xrandr --verbose?
>
> Does your ~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log reveal anything more?

I'll check those next time I'm able to spend some time with it.  Right
now, I'm picking basil to dehydrate and chop for later use.  Basil
smells so good too.  Nice dark leaves.  I have five trays of it from one
planter.  Now to pick planter two, if my back will allow it.  My back is
angry despite meds.  :-@

>> If I let it sit for a good while, it comes back on, sort of.  The plasma
>> panel thing on the bottom, where the app menu, clock and all is, doesn't
>> come back tho.  Also, the background is just black, no picture like
>> usual.  The only thing that shows up is gkrellm.  I'm pretty sure plasma
>> died.  I thought maybe it was heat, the fan isn't running on the video
>> card or something.  Nvidia shows the card between 25 and 30C.  The fan
>> nvidia says is at 34%.  If that is correct, then the fan is running and
>> heat is not a issue.  Out comes the flashlight and a mirror.  Yep, fan
>> spinning.  According to IR temp thingy, nothing even gets into the 90F
>> area.  I think if it was heat, I'd see something getting hot with the IR
>> temp thing.
>>
>> There is two versions of Nvidia driver for this card in the tree.  I've
>> tried both, no change at all.  Screen goes black and after a while comes
>> back but most of the desktop has crashed.
>>
>> By the way, I ran the tail command over ssh.  Sometimes when the monitor
>> goes black, it doesn't come back.  I can use ssh to reboot and repeat tho.
>>
>> Did I miss something during the install?  Does the error above cause
>> this problem?  If so, how do I fix it?  If you need info, just let me
>> know the command to run.  I monitored all I could think of.  The one
>> above is all I saw that showed a problem exists.  Given this rig is
>> still in testing, I can reboot or anything else as needed.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> If this is a buggy EDID, or monitor chip, you should be able to extract the
> EDID table and store it as a firmware blob for the video card to load.

I may try to boot the Gentoo GUI DVD and see what entries it has for X
config files.  Do you know what files I should look for or is it the
same for that as a hard drive based install?  I know to check /etc/X11/*
but could be others I'm not aware of.

Back to picking basil.  No zucchini today.

Thanks.  I'm not sure what the problem is but it is annoying me.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)