Hi Mark,

I think you have a good point.  I think I missed something.  Gentoo can
be complicated to get going the first time with all the config options.
Once it is going tho, it goes.  I feel I missed either a config option
in the guide or maybe some package is missing that isn't pulled in as a
dependency.  I could have a wrong USE flag too.

Along your lines of thinking, I'll boot the Gentoo GUI image which has a
GUI.  I tend not to use it but I can let it run and see what resolution
it runs at.  If it fails to, then it may be hardware.  If it runs fine,
something on my install in wonky.  I may test with Knoppix as well.  I'm
pretty sure I have a EFI version lurking about here somewhere.

Those are good ideas.  No problem with top posting.  I top posted to
make it easier for you to read my reply.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)