On 05/08/2024 23:56, Daniel Frey wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems. It does make me wonder
though if the discrete video card (nvidia) is the cause of some/most of
these problems.

If I were to 'guess', I think it's the Nvidia drivers and less to do with Wayland implementation.

I have an Nvidia RTX 20-series and Wayland sessions generally exhibit mostly the same issues as yours - flickering and/or freezing/unresponsive panels, random KDE crashes, and general instability. Sleep simply doesn't work at all properly with a wayland session and my PC freezes, requiring a reboot. Mind you, this is a modern system with an X670E chipset, but certainly not modern enough to still have launch issues.

It's the same with both the proprietary Nvidia driver and the new 1st party open-source driver that comes with the 555-series drivers. I've not tried nouveau - it's on my list, but I sometimes need CUDA so not yet sure how this is going to wor
k out without a driver swap.

They don't happen in X11 though.

Same here. X11 is mostly stable for nvidia except for suspend/resume which can often not suspend at all, requiring multiple attempts, or borking up the screen resolution.

I say 'guess' above in quotes because Nvidia have notoriously bad drivers for Linux and Wayland support has been pretty non-existent _and_ I've been using Wayland as a daily driver with AMD (current laptop) and Intel GPUs (previous laptop) for about 2 years without any major issues outside of minor known KDE bugs which have got hoovered over time with updates. Furthermore, on my workstation (with the Nvidia GPU) all problems, Wayland and the X11 sleep issue , essentially disappear as soon as I wire things up to the onboard built-in Ryzen GPU and switch to the "amdgpu" driver and Wayland is rock solid - no sleep/resume issues either.

So... yes, in my experience Nvidia is just crap on Linux and, frankly, given where they seem to be headed wrt their business priorities, I don't see this getting any better any time soon. I think my next GPU upgrade, whenever that may be, will be an AMD.

I'm curious to see how KDE 6 will behave once stabilised. It's supposed to have further Wayland improvements, but I'm not holding my breath as I don't think it's necessarily KDE's problem.

- Victor