Daniel Frey wrote:
> Is it just me or is wayland nowhere near primetime?
>
> I did a switchover to systemd/wayland some time ago and it seemed to
> solve some problems I had.
>
> The problem is it also came with so many more issues than it fixed:
>
> 1. Logins don't work reliably. I use KDE/SDDM and when logging in it
> appears to start on a new VT and sometime it doesn't start. Or it will
> start the new VT and fail to switch to it, leaving a text console and
> a blinking cursor. This didn't happen when using X11.
>
> 2. Sometimes video hardware acceleration just doesn't work. Now I do
> have a discrete nVidia card with the proprietary driver, but I
> switched to nouveau and it didn't work either. Again, not an issue in
> X11.
>
> I have a nVidia RTX 3070 Ti.
>
> 3. I sleep/resume a lot, wayland seems to be quite buggy on resume. As
> in, the other three issues listed here are far more likely to occur
> after a sleep/resume, but they do happen even after rebooting and
> being on the PC most of the day.
>
> 4. This is the big one, the panel in KDE hangs intermittently. The
> clock will freeze and the entire panel is unresponsive (but weirdly
> enough, KDE doesn't realize it's not responding.) I've tried killing
> and restarting the process and that doesn't always fix it either as it
> becomes disconnected with any open processes and it's not possible to
> resolve. Either have to logout or reboot.
>
> I've switched back to X11 for now and have been using it for over a
> week. I managed to figure out how to set up multimonitor for now (both
> on the KDE desktop and in SDDM) and I haven't had any of these issues.
> For the record, I typically use the computer a few times a day during
> the week and sleep/resume, and longer on weekends.
>
> After much googling and experimenting, I can't seem to make these
> issues go away... which got me wondering if someone else has
> experienced any of these.
>
> I have done hardware tests (load testing, RAM tests, etc) - all are
> clear.
>
> -Dan

On number 4.  I use X11 and see that sometimes too.  I saw it a LOT on
my old rig Fireball.  I have seen it a couple times on my new rig to tho
but it is shorter for sure.  On my old rig, it would freeze when I would
plug in one of my external hard drives into a eSATA port.  Also, that
would also freeze my network as well.  Sometimes I would have to restart
LVM to get it to go back to normal.  It was only one external drive that
did that.  Restarting LVM always fixed it.  Sometimes it would do it for
reasons I can't figure out.  Sometimes the freeze would only be for a
couple seconds but on occasion it would freeze for 30 seconds or
longer.  During that time, I'd have to use the CTRL F* keys to switch
desktops.

I tried Wayland a couple times during the testing of the new rig.  It
had some good points but some things didn't work right still.  I don't
see me switching anytime soon.  I didn't play with it much tho, mostly
hoping that wonky monitor would work better.  That said, I'm sure it is
some complicated programming.  It has to work with any number of video
cards, all sorts of programs, input devices and other things I haven't
thought of.  If it has enough people working on it, I'm sure one day all
the bugs will get worked out and we will all switch and fall in love
with the thing.  Just might not be tomorrow.  ROFL

So, the freeze/delay may be Wayland, it may not.  On my old rig, it was
pretty annoying.  Besides the age of my old rig, it was one of the
larger reasons I wanted a newer rig.  The whole plasma thing was getting
slow.

Dale

:-)  :-)