Dale wrote:
On Wednesday 18 January 2006 03:27, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:17:29 -0600, Dale wrote:
" An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
5.7.1 <whatever email address I am trying to send to> Relaying denied.
Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail
preferences and try again."

To recap a bit.  I have a problem sending email to anyone outside my
ISPs network.  I can't send to a yahoo, or my brothers Bell South
account and some others too.
Your ISP's mail server thinks you are connecting from outside their
network, so it only allows you to send mails to addresses within the
network (that's the Relaying denied bit). There's nothing wrong with your
network connections, because KMail works, so it must be down to your
Mozilla config. Some ISPs also check the domain part of your email
address, is that set the same in Mozilla and KMail?

Yup. I get the same error even if I just switch desktops and don't even disconnect and reconnect my modem. I have got the same error once or twice on the old OS with Kmail too. It was just a few times though.

What gets me is this, I did a fresh install and copied over my /home directory and /etc as well. Everything else was new. It still does not work.

Here is the kicker. On my new install, Mozilla will no longer open, just like on the old OS. I have a few questions that I would like you to think about. I upgraded gcc, then upgraded KDE to 3.5 and had to upgrade my kernel when I did the KDE upgrade. Can all that have something to do with this? I'm considering doing another install and not use the new gcc, a older kernel, and KDE 3.4 just to see if it would work then.

This is really wrecking my brain. I have no clue what is wrong. I booted the Gentoo CD and ran memtest86 and got several passes with not one single error. My CPU runs as cool as some with water cooling so I don't think this is hardware. It's hard for me to beleive that I can have two drives from different manufacturors going out at the same time either.

Now to go back and answer Hollys email.

Any ideas?  Me clueless.

Dale
:-(
Maybe try Firefox and Thunderbird as your browser and email client? Evidently something is wrong with how Mozilla is configured and maybe deleting any and all /home/dale/.mozilla folders is called for. Since you have already went through a new install and really did a good job of trouble-shooting, I would say your email client is the problem and/or ISP. I have bellsouth
and have never had any of the problems you have encountered.

Happy Hacking,

--
Edward A Mihalow Jr
Gentoo! Linux