On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:04:06 -0700
Joseph wrote:

> > > If I use:
> > > dd if=/dev/dvd of=backup.iso
> >
> > First of all, I would add the "bs" option to increase the buffer and
> > therefore
> > speed. Something like:
> > dd bs=100000 if=/dev/dvd of=backup.iso
>
> No, this command didn't work either, I got about 700Mb and it quit,
> though the light in the drive was flashing nothing was copied to ISO
> file.
>

> > > I only get about 2Gb file and it stops or freezes, the disk is bout
> > > 4.3Gb
> >
> > That would indicate read errors. Is the dvd scratched or dirty? Wash it
> > with
> > lukewarm water and dishwasher liquid and try again.
>
> DVD is brand new, no scratches.

could be the reader then? Do you have another computer with a dvd drive
and 4.7g available space?

these things are fiddly, there are billions of little holes and a laser
light reading them. There are manufacturing tolerances in the reader and
the disk. There are imperfect firmwares in the drives. In short,
sometimes a particular disk and a particular drive just don't get on.
The drives also get old and tired. IMHO you need to be prepared to throw
the drive out after some indeterminate (but not long enough) period and
get a new one.

Is this a movie or data? Have you tried just mounting then copying the
files to your hard drive. This might identify where on the disk things
are going wrong. If it is a small or unimportant file you might still
have an effective backup.

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>