Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>
>> If you can, check to see if udev was upgraded and there was a notice
>> that there are group changes.  I would think udev would be what was
>> changed.   I'm curious to see your reply though.
>
> Ok - here is the state after the emerge (recall group *was* tty):
>
> $ ls -l /dev/ttyS*
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS0
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS1
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS2
> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Mar  4 15:53 /dev/ttyS3
>
> and /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules has been updated in the emerge to
> make this ownership change:
>
> $ grep ttyS 50-udev.rules
> KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*",   NAME="%k", SYMLINK="tts/%n", GROUP="uucp",
> MODE="0660"
>
> I didn't see any notice, it just gets processed when doing etc-update.
> Probably worth eyeballing any changes to 50-udev.rules!
>

> So looks like you need to be in the uucp group to dial-up now.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

Hmmm, I wonder why that was changed?  I did a google search for uucp and
group and it was interesting.  It seems this is the norm now.  When I
added fax to the search, it seems that will solve my problem of having
to fax something as root instead of a user.  ;-)  Learn something every
day.  I just wonder about my UPS and how it is going to like this
change.  Add nut to the group to I guess.

Well, now we know huh?

Thanks for the help.  I better watch the rules update next time.

Dale

--
www.myspace.com/dalek1967