Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 02 May 2007 00:47:21 -0400 Colleen Beamer
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I'm having a heck of a time with the nvidia-drivers on my new Dell
>> Inspiron M1710.  I can install the driver, but when the laptop is
>> booting, the font doesn't resize - something do do with the
>> framebuffer, but I don't know how to correct it - I've followed the
>> nvidia Guide from the documentation.
>
> What does "the font doesn't resize" mean exactly and how's that looking
> errorneous to you?

It's not that it's erroneous. I'm just being a bit anal.  In all my
other Gentoo installations, when the computer boots up, the font starts
out large, then there is a sort of blip and the penguin graphic appears
and the font becomes smaller.  I'm not a programmer, but was told this
had something to do with the framebuffer.  This large font is driving me
nuts because any command issued at the command line, for instance lspci
results in half the information scrolling off screen unless you use a
pipe.  I know that isn't all that big a deal, but it's not what I'm used
to.  I've always dealt with ATI cards and had I had a choice, I wouldn't
have gotten an nvidia card in this laptop, but I didn't.

 > AFAIK, nvidia-drivers don't have framebuffer support at all. In order
> to have a graphical console on bootup, you need to configure other
> framebuffer drivers in your kernel. I think the suggested one to use in
> combination w/ nvidia-drivers (the combination matters for switching
> between X and console) is vesa or vesa-tng.

This is correct, And I'm using vesa-tng.

Thanks anyway,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org