On 28 August 2007, Cipher van Byte wrote:
> As far as I'm concerned the structure of directories and links (hard or
> symbolic) were invented to eliminate the _need_ of having such searching
> engines.
>
> I've got every file in directory that it belongs to, and I do have "tmp"
> directory where I put files that does not belong to any category on my ~/ .

Think of secretaries who aren't interested in computers but need to use them.
Think of musicians who want to use computers for composing without really
under them. Think of any person who just uses computers without actually
knowing what a file or a directory is. Computers aren't for geeks only.

> Using those search engines is like reinventing the wheel or programing
> embedded devices with java... ;)

Or like inventing the next generation wheel.  Think of people using a
microwave for heating up food. They know they can do that. They don't need to
know that only water, fat and sugar actually heat up in a microwave as long
as they stick to food. If they start to experiment with other things ...
well, they have to understand how microwaves work.

Different tools are for different users. That you don't need a certain tool,
doesn't mean other people don't. Desktop search engines, or the semantic
desktop as some call it, might well be the way of the crisis experienced by
users dealing with huge amount of data without knowing what data actually is.

BTW, desktop searching is way more than just indexing. How did the data come
in? Where did it came from? Who produced it. All that kind of stuff. Metadata
in short. ;-)

I better stop here.

Uwe

--
Jack Nicholson: My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.