On Tuesday 28 August 2007, Uwe Thiem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about 'Re:
[gentoo-user] linux desktop search engines are ugly!':
>Think of secretaries who aren't interested in computers but need to use
> them. Think of musicians who want to use computers for composing without
> really under them. Think of any person who just uses computers without
> actually knowing what a file or a directory is. Computers aren't for
> geeks only.

Computers are tools, and thus, have some required knowledge to use them.
If you don't know what a file or (directory/folder) is, you should stay
away from them -- you might hurt yourself.

You don't use power tools or even cars without training for the same
reason.

>> Using those search engines is like reinventing the wheel or programing
>> embedded devices with java... ;)
>
>Or like inventing the next generation wheel.  Think of people using a
>microwave for heating up food. They know they can do that. They don't
> need to know that only water, fat and sugar actually heat up in a
> microwave as long as they stick to food. If they start to experiment
> with other things ... well, they have to understand how microwaves work.

I don't expect my users to be able to write a filesystem in C, design an
IC, or understand the OSI 7 layer model.

I do expect them to be able to use files and folders (a.k.a. directories).
Especially since most office workers, and quite a few non-office workers
use files and folders to mange their paperwork every day.

I'm sure DSE will be a feature many users will like and probably even
become dependent on.  It's NOT the "next generation wheel", it's not even
something I'll use, but it has it's place.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))